Together with the villages of Epsingsen and Meiningserbauer, which arose from the division of the brand in the last third of the 18th century, Meiningsen formed the smallest parish of the Soest Börde. The church of St. Matthias was built in 1107 with the circular churchyard as a waiting place and fortification on a strategically important point on the Haar. During the Soest Feud (1444-1449), the Thirty Years' War (1618-1648) as well as the Seven Years' War (1756-1763), the church was repeatedly the focus of warlike conflicts. From the originally higher tower, one could see the Soest Belfry (today: tower of the Patrokli Minster). Because of its high military importance, St. Matthias was always under the patronage of Soest magistrate families. The conspicuous elevation of the cemetery area can be explained by a more than thirtyfold occupation of this locality.