The almost 1,000-year-old Hanseatic town is located in the scenic Südegge-Diemeltal recreation area, on the border with Hessen, in the south-east of North Rhine-Westphalia,
in the middle of Germany.
Well-preserved fortified walls, towers and gates from the 14th and 15th centuries still characterize the medieval townscape today. The medieval townscape is still characterized by well-preserved fortified walls, towers and gates from the 14th and 15th centuries.
Warburg's first historical evidence dates back to the year 1010. A castle on the "Wartberg" above the Diemelaue is mentioned.
Under the protection of Count Dodiko and later the bishops of Paderborn, two towns developed: Warburg-Altstadt in the Diemel river valley and Warburg-Neustadt on the ridge. Both towns had fortifications at the end of the 13th century. Large parts of the town wall, five defensive towers and two town gates are still preserved.
Warburg as a whole experienced its economic heyday when it joined the Hanseatic League in 1364.
In 1436, the old and new towns adopted a "unified" constitution and a joint administration, laid down in the "groten breff". The outstanding significance of the historic core lies in the largely preserved dual structure of the town.
The view of the town from the south is one of the most beautiful in Westfalen.
After 1945, the town developed into a modern administrative, service and shopping center with a large catchment area.
The museum in the "Stern" with its extensive town archive gives visitors interested in history an insight into the development of the town.
The largest and most popular folk festival in the region is the Warburg Oktoberwoche; but the market squares are also traditional cultural centers for markets and numerous activities.
Customs are a tradition here. We celebrate festivals:
Medieval market (spring), spring fair (spring), May market (beginning of May), Kälkenfest (August), Oktoberwoche (end of September/beginning of October) and Christmas markets, as well as numerous traditional shooting festivals.