Welver - Schwefe

The interpretation of the name Schwefe is difficult. The most logical interpretation of the name is probably that the family "de Sueve", appearing in documents since 1250 -1322, gave the name to the village. The village as "Suevan" is mentioned for the first time in the year 1028. Then, in the 13th century, there is a veritable flood of documents referring to Schwefe. The official confirmation of the church in Schwefe comes from a document from 1261. Three small streams flow through the village. Through the village itself the "Amperbach" takes its course, which, as the name suggests, comes from the neighboring village of Ampen, where it has its source in the so-called "Spring". At the Jasper farm it unites with the "Blöggebach", which on its course forms the eastern border of the village. The third small brook that carries water through Schwefe is the "Enkerbach".